Thursday, April 8, 2010

Deeper into the estuary

I took this photo even farther into the reaches of the Tamarindo Estuary than the photo I posted yesterday. This part of the thick mangrove forest would be impassible on foot, as you would have to climb through the roots that extended in all directions from the trees to the swampy, muddy ground.

We glided through the forest by boat until the fingers of the estuary became too shallow, narrow, or were blocked by a fallen tree to prevent exploration deeper into the estuary.

Several people left comments yesterday wondering what wildlife we saw on this trip. We did get out of the boat at one point and the guide took us on a hike along a trail. We saw a howler monkey, iguanas, bats, lots of birds, but no crocodiles. The guide kept looking for crocodiles and I think they see them at other times, but not on our particular tour.

On our Viva la Voyage travel photo site this week, we have posted photos from Dubrovnik, a charming town on the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia.

6 comments:

brattcat said...

Like the forest primeval. What an experience! What a shot!

Sharon said...

This makes me think of the jungle cruise ride at Disneyland! Only, this is the real thing.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

Very nice ride. I have not done this excursion but I will do so next time I am in Costa Rica.

Judy said...

The picture makes me think of a quiet place with earthy aromas and far off sounds of birds and animals. Very peaceful.

Lois said...

Another serene shot! I also thought about the jungle cruise, only the one at DisneyWorld. I think I would enjoy this more!

glenda said...

So unique and beautiful. Who knows what lurks in the bushes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...