Tuesday, March 23, 2010

White faced Capuchin monkey, reaching for a banana

If you look closely, you will be able to see that this white faced Capuchin monkey is reaching for a banana that we tossed to him. These monkeys are very intelligent. They are the same species that organ grinders will use to solicit donations from a crowd.

I read an article in the local newspaper recently that in our region of Costa Rica environmental authorities have installed several hundred "monkey bridges." Wildlife authorities studied monkey behavior to determine the places where they travel most frequently. They built the monkey bridges across roadways and in areas that monkeys have been traveling across telephone and electrical wires. The purpose is to give monkeys safe passage to reduce accidents.

We have a monkey bridge right in Tamarindo in front of the Capital Suizo Resort. It provides a way for monkeys to cross the road from Tamarindo to Langosta from the safety of about 15 meters above the roadway so they do not have to deal with traffic on the street. The monkeys are more comfortable and safe traveling around from tree to tree rather than down on the ground.

On our Viva la Voyage travel photo site this week we are showing photos of Uluru, also called Ayers Rock, in Australia.

12 comments:

brattcat said...

That's a rather disdainful expression on his face. I wonder what he's thinking.

Sharon said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

Cool capture! I have a similar shot of two of these guys stealing our lunch leftovers! :-)

Lois said...

What an adorable little guy! I love the monkey bridge idea too.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

don't take my banana!

glenda said...

Wonder how long it takes the monkeys to use the bridges. Great idea. I remember when I visited and these little guys took fruit from my hand.

Judy said...

This little fellow is very cute. It's a great that the bridges were put in for them. Nice capture as always.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Monkey bridges, now that's clever!
Costa Rica does things right, well done.

Now I'm off to Uluru with you!

Stefan Jansson said...

Great idea with the bridges. And I like the photo.

Lots in Costa Rica said...

Costa Rica, best vacation hotels, the real estate investment outlook, or the wellness aspects. I enjoy sharing my experiences in making choices when visiting Costa Rica’s southern Pacific Coast.

Properties in Samara Costa Rica said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Jessie said...

There are many beautiful places to choose from for a vacation with the family.


La Rocca Hostels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...