Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Zip-lining down the canyon

This is my older son as he set off on the zip lines heading to the second to the last platform.  You can see the platform in the distance.  It has been built into the canyon wall, just below the top of the cliff.  

This photo also shows a perspective of the distance and elevation drop from one platform to the next.  Visible in the bottom of the photo is the Rio Blanco river that carved the slot canyon through which we were zip-lining, rappelling, Tarzan-swinging, and rock climbing, 
 
In this photo you can see my son's right arm positioned on the cable, ready to pull down if he needs to brake.  The friction of the leather glove pulling down on the cable provides the braking.   

You may recall that near the beginning of this photo tour I showed a picture of one of the women who took the tour with us traveling down the zip lines with no hands.  Tomorrow and the following day I will show you something even more extreme.  Fasten your seat belts.

8 comments:

brattcat said...

Great perspective on this. I can almost hear the Tarzan call.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

this is a great photo. what a cool view. I agree with Brattcat as this is Tarzan like except for the helmet.

Sharon said...

Lucky for me, you've taken such fantastic photos of this whole adventure that I'll never have to contemplate doing it mysel. I can enjoy your gorgeous photos from the comfort of my chair and still feel like I've been there.

Unknown said...

Another great shot in this amazing series.

Judy said...

This is a fascinating series of photos. The place looks "otherworldly".

Anonymous said...

It looks like a scary ride to me.

Lowell said...

Excellent shot...you have a brave boy. I get the jitters just watching your photos!

Ryan said...

I am so glad I found this blog. Was in CR 2 years ago and did some ziplining. The upside down version would be fun though.

What a beautiful country. I hope to return someday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...